Friday, January 27, 2012

Why Home Births Are on the Rise

Nine years ago, my neighbor and I were pregnant at the same time. I was expecting my first child, she her fourth. One day, I returned home from work to find a blue bow on her lamppost. My husband and I grabbed a congratulatory bottle of wine and headed over. We rang the doorbell, and Angie answered, perky as ever.

“Um,” I stuttered, completely confused. “I thought you had your baby, but I guess I was wrong.”

“He’s upstairs,” she responded. “Want to come see him?”

Her home birth hadn’t fazed her one bit. A trained labor and delivery nurse, she’d delivered her son herself that morning; that afternoon, she drove to pick up her girls from school. Clearly not a typical case, but statistics released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicate that home birth is on the rise.



Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/27/why-home-births-are-on-the-rise/#ixzz1kfvMcl96

No comments:

Post a Comment